Disability and mental health support at Kingston University

The disability and mental health advisers, based at Penrhyn Road in the John Galsworthy Building, co-ordinate support arrangements and resources to enable students with disabilities to benefit fully from their time at Kingston University.

Students with long-term health conditions, mental health conditions, physical or sensory impairments and specific learning differences, such as dyslexia are all entitled to support.

Support available

  • Advice and guidance on what support is available.
  • Recommending reasonable adjustments for the teaching, learning and assessments of courses.
  • Support with applying for additional funding, such as Disabled Students' Allowances.
  • Support with setting up one to one support including support workers, tutors and mentors.
  • Recommending accommodation for disabled students with adaptations if necessary.
  • Disabled-parking permits.
  • Advice on getting assessments for specific learning differences (e.g. dyslexia) if appropriate.
  • Access to our adapted computers onsite, which are reserved for students with disabilities.
  • Inspiration (mind-mapping software), Claro Read and TextHelp Read & Write are available on all student-use computers across the University.

For more information please contact us:

How to get support in place at Kingston University

You need to provide supporting evidence of your disability:

  • If you have a learning difference such as dyslexia, please send us a full diagnostic assessment report from a specialist teacher or educational psychologist.
  • If you have a disability, please send us a medical letter from your doctor clearly stating your diagnosis and its impact on your study.

    If you don't have this evidence, please ask your doctor to fill out the Disabled Students' Allowances Disability Evidence Form, which we can also accept. You will also need the same types of medical evidence in your DSA application.